Arria NLG plc is a software development business. Its target is to be the global leader in the development and deployment of mission critical, core industrial, enterprise level Natural Language Generation software technologies. Natural Language Generation (NLG) is the computerised process of analysing and converting Big Data into actionable information.
The Group’s core product is known as the Arria NLG Platform.
Global corporations are having to deal with an ever-growing amount of data resulting from the digitisation of transactions and industrial processes and from technological advancements in data capture. Computer networks are now producing and storing digital data at such a rate that this data is becoming increasingly difficult to be fully utilised. This development and the challenge to make optimal use of this data has become known as “Big Data”.
The market opportunity for the Arria NLG Platform has grown substantially through the emergence of the Big Data phenomenon.
The Arria NLG Platform is a form of artificial intelligence, specialised in communicating information which is extracted from complex data sources in natural language (i.e. as if written by a human).
The Arria NLG Platform comprises of two main elements:
- an analytics component that is programmed to embody the expert knowledge of the domain in which it operates; and
- a natural language generation component, which embodies the skill required to communicate information articulately using natural language.
This combination of analytics and natural language generation means it can be used to automatically generate written reports in potentially any language for any audience that reads as if written by a person expert in their field. The Directors believe that the Arria NLG Platform provides value where many Big Data analytical tools are limited at the human-machine interface, being the point at which analytic results are communicated to humans.
The Arria NLG Platform automatically communicates results, not in numbers or graphics that may require further analysis and explanation, but in narratives that are designed to read as if written by a human expert.
The scientific foundation for the Arria NLG Platform has been developed over the past four years, but is based on more than 20 years of research and knowledge gained by the Data2Text Founders at the University of Aberdeen.
In 2009, the University of Aberdeen, Prof. Ehud Reiter, Dr. Yaji Sripada, Ian Davy and John Perry formed Data2Text Limited to develop and commercialise various NLG technologies.
Since 2009, the Data2Text science and technology team has continued to develop the commercial potential of its NLG software technologies culminating in the Arria NLG Platform.
Arria has been working with Data2Text since May 2012 when it acquired a 20 per cent. interest in Data2Text and was granted an option to acquire the remaining 80 per cent. On 25 October 2013 Arria acquired the remaining 80 per cent. of Data2Text.